May 1st, 2023: Fargo, ND – The North Dakota National Guard Readiness Center located in Fargo has earned LEED Silver Certification.
Completed in 2021, the Readiness Center houses three National Guard Units and administrative offices. The project was designed in compliance with the Department of Defense’s Unified Facilities Criteria regarding performance, sustainability, security and protection.
LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) is the most widely used green building rating system in the world. Available for virtually all building types, LEED provides a framework for healthy, efficient, and cost-saving green buildings. LEED certified buildings reduce environmental stress and exposure to harmful toxins by reducing carbon emissions, energy use and waste construction waste, conserving water, and prioritizing safer building materials. The LEED certification system is a globally recognized symbol of sustainability achievement and leadership.
The Readiness Center’s design team worked together to coordinate an efficient, pragmatic effort to achieve this certification.
While there are many ways to ensure a building is going to live up to LEED standards, below are a few steps that the design team took to ensure the longevity and sustainability of the Readiness Center.
- Using efficient mechanical systems and improving building envelope insulation.
- Reducing water use for bathrooms and appliances.
- Using white concrete mixtures and white roof membrane to reflect sunlight away from the building, making it easier to cool the building in the summer.
- Selecting products that don’t generate harmful gases or other byproducts.
- Planting drought-tolerant, native grasses throughout the site to reduce the need for auxiliary watering.
- Over 75% of construction “waste” was recycled during construction.
About Zerr Berg Architects
Zerr Berg Architects (ZBA) is a full-service architectural firm located in downtown Fargo that serves North Dakota, South Dakota, and northwest Minnesota. The mission at ZBA is Creating Community through Inspired Design. ZBA’s design philosophy is to engage and empower clients to enhance what they do, helping them fulfill their missions. ZBA has a reputation for providing design solutions that are flexible, generate operational efficiencies, and are delivered on time and within budget.